Thursday, May 12, 2011

2 settimana

So as week 2 comes to pass many here are amazed I have stuck it out so far. For them, dealing with the crazy Italian bureaucracy is a way of life and they fully expect nothing to happen as it should...at least quickly. That said, having tested my patience,my ability to comprehend Italian and just my disbelief in the lack of common sense,people were fully expecting me to either leave or go postal. I cannot ever remember thinking to myself "are you kidding me?" so many times in the span of 2 weeks. 
But I not only have survived but even impressed my "it's not possible" friends..the speed in which I have arranged an apartment , utilities,scooter,and now a car with insurance is becoming legend. Since I arrived with no real plan for housing or transportation I think I did ok. 
So now that I have settled in, figured out the quickest way around town to my favorite cafes',and where the daily markets are for food I'm starting to have some fun. Not that I always don't when I'm here but it so different when you think..wow, I live here. You're not rushing trying to cram stuff in before your vacation is over...just letting life slow down a bit and enjoying it. The scene here forces you to kick it down a notch.I love SB but sometimes you seem like you have to stay on the gas to keep up. Hard work if fine but having passed the half century mark a few years ago, I want the next 50 to take it's time . So for now it's "tranquillo" and ciao for now...

1 comment:

  1. A laidback Bob--that I would pay to see! I found my Natl Geo map of Italy & located varese. didn't realize it was so close to Switzld. Hope all your belongings finally arrived intact. Within 2 months I expect you'll be speaking like a native. Hugs--MOM

    ReplyDelete